Tips & Tricks: Installing a New Email Signature in Outlook
When delivering branding packages, clients seem to have the most difficulty with email signatures. Often this is due to the somewhat arcane process for adding signatures in Microsoft
Outlook. To help them out, I always add a mini-guide for intalling them to their deliveries. I’ve seen many co-workers and fellow art directors and graphic designers since also have the same problems. To help out them and anyone out there who has to add an email sig, I wanted to post my guide here. Though Apple
‘s version of Outlook treats signatures differently, so this guide only shows the procedure for Microsoft
Step 1: Get ready to add your signature in Outlook
- Exit Outlook
- Open the folder where signatures are saved
Windows 7 – Click Start. Next to the Shut down button, in the Search programs and files box, type %APPDATA%\Microsoft\Signatures and then press Enter.
Windows 10 – Click the Search icon next to Windows icon in your toolbar (Windows+Q). In the Search Windows box, type %APPDATA%\Microsoft\Signatures and then press Enter.
Step 2: Grab your new email signature files
- Your stationery package designer should have delivered your signature in an Outlook ready format. This format contains an html file and a folder containing the signature’s accompanying files.
- Navigate to where these files are held on your computer or download them from you designer’s file sharing solution.
- Copy the Email-Signature.htm file and the folder Email Signature_files
- Add them to your Outlook email signature folder at %APPDATA%\Microsoft\Signatures.
Step 3: Personalize your signature
- Open Outlook and create a new email
- In the editing window, click the arrow below Signature and select Signatures
- Select your new Email Signature option in the top left pane of the Signatures & Stationery window that has opened.
- In the bottom pane change the default info to your personal information
- When you’re done, click OK.
I hope this guide was helpful. If you need any help with a branding package with stationery or other design work, contact me.